My Web of Trust

Thursday, March 11, 2010

“Myofascial Release” the bodywork of the future.

I just took 60 hours of training in Myofascial Release (MFR) with John F. Barnes, P.T. I found his class to be fascinating. I now find myself entreating friends to come and experience this new modality I have been studying. I have taken other courses in MFR, yet none have inspired me so much to begin working almost exclusively with this therapeutic method.

What is “Myofascial Release”?

According to: MedicineNet.com

“Myo” is a prefix denoting a relationship to muscle.

and

“Fascia” is a flat band of tissue below the skin that covers the underlying tissues and separates different layers of tissue. It also encloses muscles.

Having said that;

Mr. John F. Barnes, P.T. defines Myofascial Release as “a whole-body, hands-on approach for the evaluation and treatment of the human structure.” He goes on to explain that the focus of this particular type of bodywork is the fascial system.

Fascia is further described by Mr. Barnes as; a continuous “three dimensional web” of “slightly mobile connective tissue” just beneath the skin that “surrounds and infuses with every; organ, muscle, bone, nerve and blood vessel all the way down to the cellular level.”

This fascia is present everywhere continuously throughout the body, from the bottom of the feet to the tips of the fingers to the top of the head. With just this bit of information you begin to contemplate a notion that seems to imply that if you pull the leg, it can effect the arm and beyond.

If you are a fan of massage and bodywork, I ask you to explore two things now if you haven’t already.

1. Read:
"Healing Ancient Wounds: The Renegade’s Wisdom" - by John F. Barnes, P.T
(and)

2. Find a therapist who has studied the John F. Barnes, method of Myofascial Release and experience a session for yourself. Then, get back to me and let me know what you think.

Namasté

No comments:

Massage By Millie

...an Art Riggs demonstration:

Arvigo Massage

Massage and Weight Loss

Watch what your nails can say about your health:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Massage IPSB style

Associations

Associations
abmp

Subscribe To My Podcast

Alterative Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

SezWho

Share/Save/Bookmark
Add to Technorati Favorites

You deserve a massage

Feed the Fish